Australians planning to buy gemstones must do so only after they’ve done their research before they are willing to buy. Popular gemstones like emeralds, sapphire and opal are highly sought after in the country, and with more variations like rough opal for sale in the Australian market, customers have a lot of design choices available on their hands. The reason why gemstones are highly demanded is because of their brilliant colours and texture that give them a unique beauty. Plus, buyers must be willing to maintain them, too, if they want to preserve them for years to come. With that being said, here are some things to consider first before buyers in Australia proceed to buy gemstones for themselves or their loved ones:
- Gemstones in Australia are graded with the same quality factors as diamonds. However, despite the parameters being the same, they are valued differently. For gemstones, colour reigns supreme, whereas, for diamonds, it’s the cut that determines the value. You can get gemstones like the rough opal for sale to derive their beauty and uniqueness from the colours and the hue. The tone and saturation make up for the factors of colour in gemstones. Hue determines the dominant colour in the spectrum, with the tone determining how bright or how dark the colour will be. The saturation is the intensity or the degree of purity of the hue.
- The next thing is the cut. Similar to the makeup of the diamonds in the Australian market, the cut brings out the sparkle in the gemstones. The cut also determines whether a gemstone is ready for mounting. Gemstones such as the opal can do well by being smooth and round, but others, like sapphires, look stunning with flat, symmetrical cuts or facets.
- The clarity of the gemstone also plays an important factor here. Although some gemstones are opaque enough to prevent any passage of light, some allow the light to pass through them, which adds to their beauty.
- The durability of the gemstones is another factor to consider, and it determines the gemstone’s ability to be fashioned and mounted. The durability of a gemstone is directly caused as a result of its toughness as well as hardness. Some gemstones can take the strain of everyday use and hence, can be used in rings or bracelets or any other jewellery that can be worn daily. Other gemstones are delicate and can only be displayed carefully out of harm’s way lest they succumb to scratches and wear.
- Customers can opt to treat their gemstones or enhance them using heat or other methods of irradiation to achieve their desired colours or clarity. The reason for such treatments is that gemstones with naturally occurring colours are way more valuable in the Australian market. Customers can go for synthetic coloured gemstones, too, if they have no qualms about buying these laboratory-made ones.
Check for the quality of the cuts, too and before buying the desired gemstone, ask the jeweller whether it has been enhanced or treated. Precious gemstones will require more maintenance with special care and complex cleaning treatments to keep them in pristine conditions for years to come. Shop around Australia and compare the prices from some of the best jewellers to see how they are valued and in the end, go for the one where the price justifies its quality.